Last week, I attended few social media training previews and events in Malaysia. These are what I learnt.
- The benefits of using social media
- How to register social networking sites, e.g Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin
- How to setup Facebook Fan Pages, Twitter accounts and Linkedin groups
- How to setup blogs
- The benefits of blogging, etc
I have to say, almost all social media marketers in Malaysia teach the same things and I believe those topics above are not what Malaysians want anymore. It may work 5 - 10 years ago, but not for today's world because a lot of Malaysians already know it except some baby boomers don't know. If they don't know, they can simply go to google and search. If you still teaching the same things, not only it doesn't work for a lot people and you can't differentiate yourself to other social media marketers.
So, how to differentiate yourself from other social media marketers? My answer is FOCUS ON CONTENT, content for Malaysians (if your market is Malaysia). Producing a quality content to engage people is challenging. It is even more challenging if you want your users to spread your content (because word of mouth marketing is still the best advertising, even for internet marketing).
For example :
- If you want to run discounts on Facebook pages, what are the pricing strategies that really make people take action to buy and spread your message.
- How to produce funny and interesting videos so that people will spread them?
- What kinds of content work or not work in Malaysia?
- Which types of media Malaysians prefer? Texts, images or videos?
- What to post on Facebook wall, twitter and linkedin will trigger people to talk to you.
Show your audience with proven results so that it makes your training even more convincing.
Basically Malaysians know how to use Facebook, how to tweet and how to communicate on Linkedin, but they need to know how to produce great content to spread their businesses, their products or their brands.
It's time for social media marketers in Malaysia to move to next level. Don't you agree?
Need help in doing internet marketing in Malaysia, why not contact us at 017 24 30 307 (Kent) or via contact form